You might have found this article after Googling about reusable furnace filters.
Well, stop Googling; you came to the right place. After several years of using reusable furnace filters in my home and rentals, I’m prepared to give you the good, the bad, and the ugly.
I will answer all your questions and leave no doubt in your mind whether or not reusable furnace filters are the right product for you.
There are many brands of reusable furnace filters in the market, but for this article, I’m going to mainly focus on the AirThreds brand.
The reason I prefer the AirThreds brand over others is because of its collapsible frame. This makes it easy to disassemble and wash the mesh filter in a regular washing machine.
How long do washable furnace filters last?
Based on the recommended 1-3 month cleaning schedule, your AirThreds reusable furnace filter will last 3 to 6 years.
Nothing lasts forever! When I first started looking into reusable furnace filters, I thought It was something I never needed to replace ever.
But after a bit of research and getting a better understanding, it absolutely made sense why It must be replaced every three years.
Just like washing regular clothes, fibers from the material become dislodged.
This breakdown during washing degrades the material, which causes it to trap particles and other contaminants poorly over time.
AirThreds company recommends changing the mesh filter every 35 to 50 washes.
How do you clean AirThreds?
To wash AirThreds, unzip the mesh filter bag and slide it off the frame. Place in your washing machine and wash at high temperature with antibacterial detergent.
When washing your AirThreds in your washing machine, I recommend not having other clothing items in the machine at the same time.
Check out the AirThreds filter on Amazon here
Airthreds versus other brands
The AirThreds are made up of 2 main components, The mesh bag that acts as the filter, and the frame that the mesh bag slides over.
This gives the AirThreds filter a significant advantage over other brands.
Other Brands of washer furnace filters cannot be dismantled like the AirThreds filter brand. The filter portion stays intact with the frame.
To clean these traditional washable filters, you must either vacuum, submerge in water, or spray it with water.
The methods listed above are not ideal solutions for removing the maximum amount of dirt.
Think of it like washing your favorite sweater in a frame by hand versus washing it without the frame in a washing machine.
Give me the throw it in the washing machine solution any time of day over washing anything by hand. This site is called Simple Lifesaver, after all! 😉
What is Airthreds Merv(minimum efficiency reporting value) rating?
AirThreds Merv rating is 8. This rating is 99.97% efficient at capturing particles that are 0.3 microns (µm). This includes dust, pollen, mold, bacteria, and any airborne particles with a size of 0.3 microns.
Understanding MERV rating
A MERV rating of 8 is suitable for most residential homes. This rating is good at catching particles that are 3–10 microns in size. Contaminants in this size range consist of mold spores, hair spray, dust mites, and animal dander.
Some people think they need a higher MERV rating filter. Buying a higher MERV rating filter can become quite pricy, and it might not benefit you in the way you might think.
You might reap the benefits of a higher MERV rating filter if you’re an allergy sufferer and have other respiratory issues. For the average person, a MERV 8 filter is fine.
A MERV rating of 9 – 12 is the best option for residential use, and can reduce small particles like bacteria, tobacco smoke, and contaminants in sneezes.
A MERV rating of 13-16 is for hospital-level air quality.
How much do I save using reusable furnace filters?
The cost of replacing your furnace filters might seem trivial and insignificant compared to other home expenses. The price can really add up over the years.
An average-sized(16x25x1) MERV 8 furnace filter will cost you $70.00 – $130.00 annually. Using a comparable reusable furnace filter like the AirThreds can save you $210.00 – $390.00 every three years.
Pros of using a reusable furnace filter
- It saves you from having to remember to buy filters.
- You don’t have to purchase in bulk and find storage space to store the extra filters in your home.
- It comes with a useful magnetic reminder card, so you remember when to wash/change filters.
- It saves space by folding away it away.
- Very easy to clean. Just throw it in the wash.
- AirThreds has an antibacterial coating.
Cons of using a reusable furnace filter
- Depending on your level of dexterity, the mesh filter bag can be tricky to slide onto the frame. It’s not very difficult but, it can be one more tedious task to add to your monthly home care routine.
- I would recommend owning more than one AirThreds filter. Having 2 makes the most sense. As you remove one to wash it, insert your additional filter.
- When researching, I can across a small group of people complaining about the AirThreds filter limiting airflow. It’s hard to validate these complaints due to not knowing if customers inserted them correctly. All furnace filters must be inserted correctly to allow proper airflow. I’ve personally haven’t had any issues with airflow when using the AirThreds.